Thursday, March 4, 2010

Vegan Red Velvet Cheesecake

My good friend Jinxi is Vegan, My good friend red velvet cheesecake who you all met yesterday sadly, is not. So when she emailed me this morning telling me how great it looked, and how she wished to try it, but if ONLY it were Vegan. Well gosh dang, I had to figure it out. I was Vegan for a few years back in my late teens,Didn't last long, and frankly I missed chicken and eggs, and just everything not vegan. I do remember things I would make, things I ate, things I loved. I still to this day eat vegan products, I am a huge fan of Earth Balance, I use it regardless of being vegan or not. So I just veganized my original recipe. Enjoy!!!!


Vegan Red Velvet Cheesecake

Frosting:
1/2 cup Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Earth Balance, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups confectioner's sugar - As long as the powdered sugar is Organic, then it's Vegan. Try Wholesome Sweeteners brand


Filling:

1 Block of Silken Tofu (drained)
1 8oz package Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese,softened
1 cup chocolate soy milk
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
Vegan Chocolate Chips (Optional)
Red Food Color

Crust:
1/3 cup Earth Balance, melted
18 Oreo cookies, crushed (Or your favorite Vegan chocolate sandwich cookie, Oreo's are Vegan though!)


Combine crushed cookies with melted butter, stir with fork until moistened. Press into bottom of a 9 inch deep dish pie plate, set aside.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut block of tofu into small chunks and put into the blender or food processor with the better than cream cheese, blend until smooth. Add the soy milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder and blend well until everything is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips, and red food color. Once all are combined pour into the crust and bake for 35-55 or until the top appears set Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

Cream margarine, cream cheese, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Slowly mix the confectioner’s sugar into the creamed mixture until smooth.

Frost pie, and then refrigerate until completely cool, the longer the better. Preferably overnight.. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Tasha... you are TOTALLY AMAZING! How did you do that so quickly?
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    You are such a master baker and I am thrilled to have this treasure in my recipe box!
    Printing it out right now!

    Thanks again! Can't wait to bake!

    xoxoxo, Jinxi

    ReplyDelete